Click Here to receive a downloadable Pitsenbarger Award Application for 2015
Air Force Association (AFA) Pitsenbarger Awards provide a one-time grant of $400
to selected top USAF enlisted personnel graduating from the Community College of
the Air Force (CCAF) who plan to pursue a baccalaureate degree (only). The grants coincide
with the CCAF graduation ceremonies held each Spring and Fall.
Students wishing to apply should contact their base education office to learn about
application deadlines and procedures.
- Proof of current enrollment or intent to enroll in an accredited program leading
to a baccalaureate degree must be submitted with the application.
- Citations and awards representing distinguished activity should be submitted with
- A narrative statement describing your extracurricular activities and explaining
their significance must be submitted with application. Emphasize those activities
that indicate leadership, citizenship, teamwork, community service, personal development
and dedication. Also discuss other distinguishing activities and academic accomplishments.
The narrative should also include undergraduate plans (e.g., school, field of study,
- Commander’s endorsement must also be submitted with the application.
- A check in the amount of $400 is sent to the Education Service Office (ESO) for
- A certificate is sent with the check. It recognizes the recipient as an AFA Pitsenbarger
- Selection is determined at the ESO by a committee of individuals appointed by the
base education officer. The ESO should contact AFA for award allocation numbers, as this is subject to change. Awards are not guaranteed until officially approved by AFA.
- The committee considers job performance, scholastic achievement, education goals
and leadership qualities. Need is not a principle criterion.