October 14, 2008
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
AFA Announces Fall 2008 Civil Air Patrol Educator Grants
Arlington, VA – The Air Force Association (AFA) today announced 20 recipients of the Civil Air Patrol Educator Grant for 2008, an education initiative funded by AFA and managed by the Civil Air Patrol Headquarters.
The grants are each $250, and provided to teachers who are members of either the Air Force Association or the Civil Air Patrol.
The initiative funds classroom activities or materials that benefit the entire group of students and promote knowledge of aerospace power. Grants are used for field trips to aerospace museums or Air Force bases, or for books, DVDs or videotapes on aerospace topics.
“Science, technology, engineering and mathematics are building blocks for the future of aerospace power,” said S. Sanford Schlitt, AFA’s Vice Chairman of the Board, Aerospace Education. “We appreciate each of these teachers, and their commitment to young people and a great educational start in life.”
“A great Air Force starts in the classroom,” said Mike Dunn, President of AFA. “Education develops the Air Force and industry professionals that are the minds behind the next tactic or technology that will protect our nation.”
AFA strongly advocates aerospace education and the development of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics as the foundational skills necessary to sustain U.S. airpower, national security and economic vitality.
Below are the grant recipients:
- Susie Comer, Warren East Middle, Bowling Green, KY
- Ruth Criner, G.W. Carver Elementary, Karnack, TX
- John Edsall, Francis Marion Military Academy, Ocala, FL
- John Evans III, Lakeland Elementary, Lakeland, TN
- Joe Heilman, Adams Elementary, Hamilton, OH
- Regina Hein, Frank Moates Elementary, Glenn Heights, TX
- Janie Hill, Gardner Magnet, Hot Springs, AR
- Diane Keeton, Washington Elementary, Clinton, OK
- Robin Kennedy, Challenger Learning Center of Maine, Bangor, ME
- Melissa Kissler, South High School, Ravenwood, MO
- Shari Klausman, Harrison Co. Middle School, Cynthiana, KY
- Sonia McMichael, Hoover Middle School, Lakewood, CA
- Ann Naar, Riverside Primary Center, Ellwood City, PA
- Michael O’Connell, Chester Area School, Chester, SD
- Beth Richert, Washington Elementary, Clinton, OK
- George Smith, Booker T. Washington Magnet H.S., Montgomery, AL
- Meggan Starr, Curtis Inge Middle School, Noble, OK
- Nancy Tashima, Onizuka Space Center, Kailua-Kona, HI
- Lynn Toney, Boaz Intermediate School, Boaz, AL
- Janice Wright, Corley Elementary, Boaz, AL
For more information on AFA grants and scholarships, contact: Lynette Cross at 703.247.5800 ext 4807 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
AFA is a 501(C)(3), nonprofit organization promoting public understanding of aerospace power and the pivotal role it plays in the security of the nation. AFA has more than 200 chapters nationally and internationally representing 125,000 members. Visit AFA at http://www.afa.org.
Return to the AFA Press Releases Page