AFA Awards Aerospace Education Grants to Civil Air Patrol Units
Arlington, VA – The Air Force Association today announced twenty grants promoting aerospace education to 875 youth through Civil Air Patrol squadrons.
The AFA grants, each $250, are awarded to the squadrons for use in any Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) activity or materials that promote aerospace education.
“AFA grants are among our educational resources to strengthen the future of aerospace development,” said Bob Largent, Chairman of the Board for AFA.
“We are investing in the next generation of aerospace leaders, and that is an investment in our future national security,” said Mike Dunn, President/CEO of AFA.
The Association strongly advocates education in these crucial subjects to develop the skills necessary for the 21st Century jobs in fields sustaining U.S. air power. Uses of the grants can include purchasing textbooks or materials, or activities such as field trips to aerospace museums.
Recipients are as follows:
- Shelby County Senior Squadron, Shelby, AL
- Lakefront Thunderbirds 236, Lakewood, OH
- Bellingham Composite Squadron, Bellingham, WA
- BMS CAP Squadron AL 801, Boaz, AL
- Cornelius R. Coffey Composite Squadron, Dolton, IL
- Gen. Jimmy Stewart Composite Squadron, Sayreville, NJ
- Guayanilla Cadet Squadron, Guayanilla, Puerto Rico
- Humacao Cadet Squadron, Humacao, Puerto Rico
- Langley Composite Squadron, Hampton, VA
- Lincoln-Way Composite Squadron, Frankfort, IL
- NE Philadelphia Composite Squadron, Philadelphia, PA
- Orlando Composite Squadron, Orlando, FL
- River City Composite Squadron, Chesterfield, MO
- Rochester-Oakland Composite Squadron, Rochester Hills, MI
- Sheboygan Composite Squadron, Sheboygan, WI
- Singing River Composite Squadron, Pascagoula, MS
- Thames River Composite Squadron, Groton, CT
- Vedder Composite Squadron, Latham, NY
- Wheeler Composite Squadron, Kapolei, HI
- Edwards AFB Composite Squadron, CA
This was the first of four yearly grant cycles, two for Civil Air Patrol units and two for educators, with application deadlines of March 31, June 30, September 30 and December 31. The June and December cycles are for CAP units and the March and September cycles are for educator grants. An application form can be downloaded below or requested from HQ CAP/ED. Completed applications should be faxed to HQ CAP/ED at (334) 953-4235 or mailed to HQ CAP/ED, 105 South Hansell St, Maxwell AFB, AL 36112-6332. For more information about applying, please contact Civil Air Patrol Headquarters, Education at 334-953-7572 or send an E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
thanks To support AFA’s initiatives and educational efforts, go to http://afa.planalegacy.org or http://www.afa.org/aef/cntrbtns/.
Contact: Lynette Cross at 703.247.5800 ext 4807 or email@example.com.
The AFA is a 501(C)(3), nonprofit organization promoting public understanding of aerospace power and the pivotal role it plays in the security of the nation. AFA has more than 230 chapters nationally and internationally representing more than 130,000 members. Visit AFA on the internet at http://www.afa.org.
Return to AFA Press Releases