For Immediate Release
August 10, 2009
AFA Announces 2009 AFA-FCEF Air Force Excellence Scholarships
Arlington, VA – The Air Force Association (AFA) today announced a total of $15,000 in scholarship funds awarded for the 2008 AFA-FCEF Air Force Excellence Scholarship for 2009. Each of this year’s five recipients will receive a $3,000 scholarship.
Created and administered by the Air Force Association, this scholarship is a partnership with First Command Educational Foundation, which provided the funding for the award.
“We are very proud to recognize the commitment and attainments of these recipients,” said Sandy Schlitt, AFA Vice Chairman of the Board, Aerospace Education. “We appreciate First Command Educational Foundation for providing the very generous funding that supports these five standout recipients in pursuit of their goals.”
“It’s a pleasure to provide these scholarships and play a role in the continued success of these fine selections by AFA,” said Vickie Mauldin, FCEF’s Executive Director. “These recipients each display a passion for excellence. We appreciate their dedication and are proud to invest in their futures.”
The recipients of the 2009 AFA-FCEF Air Force Excellence Scholarships are as follows:
- Bruce Cunningham, Lakewood Ranch, Florida: Bruce is a non-commissioned officer, Information Manager and a graduate of Park University, where he maintained a 3.6 GPA. He is pursuing a Master’s degree in Information Technology from the Florida Institute of Technology.
- Kirsten Kloeppel, Woodlands, Texas: Kirsten is studying nursing and biology at the University of Texas. She works in childcare, and plans to work as a nurse or physician assistant.
- Leah Evans, Del Rio, Texas: Leah has applied to University of the Incarnate Word and Southwest Texas Junior College. She is a swimmer and historian for the Student Council. She plans to major in child psychology and work with children.
- Christopher Nichols, Honolulu, Hawaii: Christopher has applied to San Jose State University and the University of Oregon and was a three sport letterman in high school athletics. He will be studying forensic science/chemistry and plans a career in healthcare.
- Kane Swaney, Magnolia, Delaware: Kane graduated from Wilmington University and is pursuing his Master’s of Education there. He is Dover Air Force Base Flightline Production Supervisor, and a past winner of the Air Force Instructional Achievement Award.
Contact: Lynette Cross at 703.247.5800 ext or LCross@AFA.org.
AFA is a 501(C) (3), nonprofit organization promoting public understanding of aerospace power and the pivotal role it plays in the security of the nation. AFA has more than 200 chapters nationally and internationally representing more than 125,000 members. Visit AFA at http://www.afa.org.
First Command Educational Foundation, 501(c)(3) public charity, promotes education as the foundation to a productive society through scholarships and financial literacy programs dedicated to financial wellness and independence. Learn more at http://www.firstcommand.org
Return to AFA Press Releases