For Immediate Release
November 9, 2009
AFA Announces Fall 2009 JROTC Instructor Grants
Arlington, VA – The Air Force Association (AFA) today announced 10 recipients of the AFJROTC Instructor Grants for the Fall of 2009, an AFA education initiative promoting the development of aerospace professionals.
The grants, each $250, are provided to instructors of AFJROTC units. This initiative promotes knowledge of aerospace power through classroom activities or materials that benefit the entire group of students, such as field trips to aerospace museums or Air Force bases, or DVDs that encourage interest in aerospace topics.
“We’re pleased to support the efforts of these fine instructors. Through these grants, some students who already are learning about the military gain an additional opportunity to examine aerospace career fields,” said S. Sanford Schlitt, Vice Chairman of the Board, Aerospace Education.
To qualify, teachers complete an application and send it directly to ROTC HQ where selection of recipients is made. JROTC units may apply for this grant every other school year.
AFA strongly advocates aerospace education and the development of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics as the foundational skills necessary to sustain U.S. airpower, national security and economic vitality.
Below are the grant recipients:
- David Ashcroft, Denton High School, Denton, Texas
- John Coulter, Southern Nash High School, Bailey, North Carolina
- Paul Hill, Tivy High School, Kerrville, Texas
- Barry Drossner, Deep Run High School, Glen Allen, Virginia
- Gregory Stephan, Normandy High School, St Louis, Missouri
- Drew Croucher, East Montgomery High School, Biscoe, North Carolina
- James Wood, Amelia County High School, Amelia, Virginia
- James Galloway, Avon Park High School, Avon Park, Florida
- Dennis Jones, Laurel Highlands Senior High, Uniontown, Pennsylvania
- Kevin Grady, Alvirne High School, Hudson, New Hampshire
For more information on AFA grants and scholarships, contact: Lynette Cross at 703.247.5800 ext 4807 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The AFA is a 501(C)(3), nonprofit organization promoting public understanding of aerospace power and the pivotal role it plays in the security of the nation. AFA has more than 200 chapters nationally and internationally representing 125,000 members. Visit AFA www.AFA.org.
Return to AFA Press Releases