For Immediate Release
July 28, 2009
AFA Awards Summer 2009 Aerospace Education Grants to Civil Air Patrol Units
Arlington, VA – The Air Force Association (AFA) today announced the 2009 Aerospace Education Grants promoting aerospace education to hundreds of youth throughout the Civil Air Patrol squadrons.
The AFA grants of $250 each to 20 recipients, are awarded to the squadrons for use in any Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) activity or materials that promote aerospace education.
“We encourage learning opportunities centered on aerospace development,” said S. Sanford Schlitt, Vice Chairman of the Board, Aerospace Education. “Even one field trip or class exercise can teach something memorable about airpower.”
“The next generation of leaders will need even more aerospace expertise,” said Mike Dunn, President/CEO of AFA. “Promoting aerospace education is one of our primary missions here at AFA.”
Uses of the grants include purchasing textbooks or materials, or activities such as field trips to aerospace museums.
AFA strongly advocates aerospace education and developing the subjects of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics – the skills necessary to sustain U.S. airpower, national security and economic vitality.
Below are the grant recipients:
- Redwood Empire Composite Squadron, Santa Rosa, California
- Westchester Cadet Squadron, New Rochelle, New York
- Air Academy Cadet Squadron, US Air Force Academy, Colorado
- Citrus County Composite Squadron, Beverly Hills, Florida
- Scott Composite Squadron, Scott Air Force Base, Illinois
- Oregon Wing, Eugene, Oregon
- Allegheny County Composite Squadron PA602, West Mifflin, Pennsylvania
- Lapeer Composite Squadron, North Branch, Michigan
- Wheatland Composite Squadron, Wheatland, Wyoming
- Puerto Real 146 Group 2, Puerto Real, Puerto Rico
- Kenosha Composite Squadron, Racine, Wyoming
- Diamondhead Squadron MS066, Bay St. Louis, Mississippi
- Camarillo Composite Squadron, Camarillo, California
- Florida Wg Group V HQ, Plantation, Florida
- Plymouth Composite Squadron, Walkerton, Indiana
- Mt Vernon Composite Squadron, Fort Belvoir, Virginia
- Monroe Composite Squadron, Monroe, Michigan
- Lawrence Composite Squadron, Lawrence, Kansas
- GLR WI 166, De Pere, Wisconsin
- Southeast Raleigh Magnet High School Flgt, Raleigh, NC
The AFA is a 501(C)(3), nonprofit organization promoting public understanding of aerospace power and the pivotal role it plays in the security of the nation. AFA has more than 200 chapters nationally and internationally representing 125,000 members. Visit AFA www.AFA.org.
Return to AFA Press Releases