AFA Awards Aerospace Education Grants to Civil Air Patrol Squadrons
Arlington, VA – The Air Force Association today announced twenty grants promoting aerospace education for hundreds of students through Civil Air Patrol squadrons.
These AFA grants, each $250, are awarded four times each year, twice to units and twice to educators. The next application deadline for educators is coming up March 31, and the next deadline for CAP units is set for June 30. These AFA grants were distributed to 20 squadrons for use in any Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) activity or materials that promote aerospace education.
“AFA believes strongly in the importance of aerospace development,” said S. Sanford Schlitt, Vice Chairman of the Board, Aerospace Education. “These grants increase the visibility of the aerospace career field at the right time in a student’s education.”
“AFA is pleased to invest in the next generation of aerospace innovators,” said Mike Dunn, President of AFA.
The Air Force Association advocates education in these crucial subjects to develop the skills necessary for the 21st Century jobs in fields sustaining U.S. air power. Use of the grants includes purchasing textbooks, materials, or activities such as field trips to aerospace museums.
Squadrons receiving AFA Grants are as follows:
- Santa Cruz Co. Composite, Nogales, Arizona
- Bellingham Composite, Bellingham, Washington
- Colorado Springs Cadet, Peterson AFB, Colorado
- Wright Brothers 282nd Aero Composite, West Carrollton, Ohio
- Milwaukee Senior Support, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Jon E. Kramer Composite, Palo Alto, California
- Voyager Squadron 120, Victorville, California
- Arundel Composite, Millersville, Maryland
- Glenn R. Martin Composite, Baltimore, Maryland
- Green Mountain Composite, Hinesburg, Vermont
- Condor Composite, Perry, New York
- Winchester Composite, Winchester, Virginia
- Vanguard Composite, Freehold, New York
- Muskegon Composite, Grand Haven, Michigan
- Niagara Falls Composite Sq. #1, Niagara Falls, New York
- Rio Del Fiero, Wichita Falls, Texas
- Crystal Lakes M.S. Cadet, Pompano Beach, Florida
- Pineland Composite, Jackson, New Jersey
- Offutt Composite, Offutt AFB, Nebraska
- Worcester Cadet, Worcester, Massachusetts
Grant background: Application deadlines are March 31, June 30, September 30 and December 31. The June and December cycles are for CAP units and the March and September cycles are for educator grants. An application form can be downloaded online or requested from HQ CAP/ED. Completed applications should be faxed to HQ CAP/ED at (334) 953-4235 or mailed to HQ CAP/ED, 105 South Hansell St, Maxwell AFB, AL 36112-6332. For more information about applying, please contact Civil Air Patrol Headquarters, Education at 334-953-7572 or send an E-mail to email@example.com.
To support AFA’s initiatives and educational efforts, or learn more about applying for grants, go to http://afa.planalegacy.org or http://www.afa.org/aef/cntrbtns/.
For more information, contact: Lynette Cross at 703.247.5800 ext 4807 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The AFA is a 501(C)(3), nonprofit organization promoting public understanding of aerospace power and the pivotal role it plays in the security of the nation. AFA has more than 200 chapters nationally and internationally representing 125,000 members. Visit AFA www.AFA.org.
Return to AFA Press Releases