For Immediate Release
July 28, 2010
AFA Announces 2010 Spouse Scholarships
Arlington, VA – The Air Force Association (AFA) today announced three education scholarships of $2,500 each to assist spouses of Airmen as they pursue college or graduate degrees.
The special scholarships, based on academic achievement, recommendations and community activities, are awarded only to spouses of Airmen from Air Force active duty, Air National Guard or Air Force Reserve.
“AFA is proud to support these spouses of Airmen as they pursue higher educations,” said S. Sanford Schlitt, AFA’s Vice Chairman of the Board for Aerospace Education. “Each of these deserving recipients has worked hard and has a great future.”
AFA supports education with numerous scholarships and grants to Air Force active duty, Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve members and their dependents; and awards various educator grants to promote science and math education at the elementary and secondary school level.
2010 AFA Spouse Scholarship Recipients
- Tammy Wisco, Arlington, Massachusetts
- Tammy became drawn to environmental restoration during her time as a civil engineer working for a global infrastructure firm. She is pursuing a Masters of Engineering degree in order to gain the expertise necessary to advise cities in improving derelict land.
- Lauren Croft-Mahajan, Columbus, Mississippi
- Lauren has an MA in criminal justice and is working for a PhD in clinical psychology with an emphasis in forensic psychology. Her future goals are to contribute to the understanding of the psychological impact of victimization on victims and their families and to support victims through therapy.
- Kirstina Barry, Ventura, California
- Kirstina is pursuing a Masters in Environmental Science. Her ambitions as an Environmental Scientist are to preserve and restore open space, habitats and ecological communities.
Click here to view photos of Scholarship Recipients
Contact: Lynette Cross at 703.247.5800 ext or LCross@AFA.org.
The AFA is a 501(C)(3), nonprofit organization promoting public understanding of aerospace power and the pivotal role it plays in the security of the nation. AFA has over 200 chapters nationally and internationally representing 120,000 members. Visit AFA www.AFA.org.
Return to AFA Press Releases