For Immediate Release
October 8, 2010
AFA Announces Fall 2010 Civil Air Patrol Educator Grants
Arlington, VA – The Air Force Association (AFA) today announced 18 recipients of the Civil Air Patrol Educator Grant, an education initiative funded by AFA and managed by the Civil Air Patrol Headquarters.
The grants are each $250, and provided to teachers who are members of either the Air Force Association or the Civil Air Patrol. The initiative funds classroom activities or materials that benefit the entire group of students and promote knowledge of aerospace power. Grants are used for field trips to aerospace museums or Air Force bases, or for books, DVDs or videotapes on aerospace topics.
These grants are initiatives to encourage and promote aerospace education and power to students.
“AFA is pleased to recognize the efforts of these educators who are providing students opportunities to learn more about aerospace power,” said George Muellner, Vice Chairman of the Board for Aerospace Education. “With these initiatives, we can only hope to make more students’ aware of the possibilities of an aerospace career field that they otherwise might not consider.
AFA strongly advocates aerospace education and the development of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics as the foundational skills necessary to sustain U.S. airpower, national security and economic vitality.
Below are the grant recipients:
- Melanie Byers, Kettering Middle School, Kettering, OH
- Danna Chatwelld, Woodlawn Beach Middle School, Gulf Breeze, FL
- Carla Chin, San Jose Catholic School, Jacksonville, FL
- Brandi DeSandro, Pike County Indian Education, Goshen, AL
- Grant Felice, Mason County Middle School, Maysville, KY
- Kelly Flindt, Owasso 7th Grade Center, Owasso, OK
- Revonne Hammond, Oakmont Elementary School, Columbus, OH
- Tracy Huemoeller, Anthem School, Anthem, AZ
- Heidi Humecky, McKelvie Intermediate School, Bedford, NH
- Jennifer Kane, Rio Hondo Elementary, Arcadia, CA
- Brenda Kuhns, Jardine Middle School, Wichita, KS
- Matthew Maisano, Connestoga Valley High School, Lancaster, PA
- Cynthia Miller, Anthem Elementary School, Anthem, AZ
- Jean Pelezo, Morgantown Road Elementary School, Fayetteville, NC
- Dorinda Risenhoover, Union City Public Schools, Union City, OK
- Ricardo Soria, Choctawhatchee High School, Ft Walton Beach, FL
- Lynn Toney, Boaz Intermediate School, Boaz, AL
- Megan Tucker, Kenwood Elementary, Ft Walton Beach, FL
For more information on AFA grants and scholarships, contact: Lynette Cross at 703.247.5800 ext 4807 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The AFA is a 501(C)(3), nonprofit organization promoting public understanding of aerospace power and the pivotal role it plays in the security of the nation. AFA has over 200 chapters nationally and internationally representing 120,000 members. Visit AFA www.AFA.org.
Return to AFA Press Releases