For Immediate Release
July 20, 2010
AFA Awards Aerospace Education Grants to Civil Air Patrol Squadrons
Arlington, VA – The Air Force Association today announced twenty grants promoting aerospace education for hundreds of students through Civil Air Patrol squadrons.
These AFA grants, each $250, are awarded four times each year, twice to units and twice to educators. These AFA grants were distributed to 20 squadrons for use in any Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) activity or materials that promote aerospace education.
The Air Force Association advocates education in these crucial subjects to develop the skills necessary for the 21st Century jobs in fields sustaining U.S. air power. Use of the grants includes purchasing textbooks, materials, or activities such as field trips to aerospace museums.
“We must have enough skilled aerospace professionals at all times to keep our nation strong and prosperous,” said S. Sanford Schlitt, AFA’s Vice Chairman of the Board for Aerospace Education. “AFA sponsors these activities to catch the interest of some students early enough to allow them to choose an aerospace education and career path.”
Squadrons receiving AFA Grants are as follows:
- St. Charles Composite Squadron, St. Peters, Missouri
- Three Rivers Flight, Carlsbad, Texas
- Pell City Composite Squadron, Moody, Alabama
- Chicago Composite Squadron C/O Union League Club of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
- Atlanta Senior Squadron 2, Griffin, Georgia
- Flying Castle Composite Squadron, Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
- Missoula Composite Squadron, Missoula, Montana
- Central Florida Composite Squadron, Oviedo, Florida
- Marion County Composite Squadron FL 361, Ocala, Florida
- Capitol Composite Squadron, Berlin, Vermont
- Palm Springs Composite Squadron 11, LaQuinta, California
- Bessemer Composite Squadron, Leeds, Alabama
- Cass County Composite, Harrisonville, Maryland
- Ascension Composite Squadron, Gonzales, Louisiana
- Starbase Composite Squadron SWR-OK-151, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- West Richmond Cadet Squadron, Richmond, Virginia
- Hammond Composite Squadron, Hammond, Louisiana
- Van Dyke Cadet Squadron (GLR-MI-117), New Baltimore, Michigan
- NY-419 Grover Cleveland HS Squadron, Ridgewood, New York
- Squadron 310- Paradise Valley (AZ Wing), Scottsdale, Arizona
The AFA is a 501(C)(3), nonprofit organization promoting public understanding of aerospace power and the pivotal role it plays in the security of the nation. AFA has over 200 chapters nationally and internationally representing 120,000 members. Visit AFA www.AFA.org.
Return to AFA Press Releases