For Immediate Release
February 1, 2010
AFA Awards Aerospace Education Grants to Civil Air Patrol Squadrons
Arlington, VA – The Air Force Association today announced twenty grants promoting aerospace education for hundreds of students through Civil Air Patrol squadrons.
These AFA grants, each $250, are awarded four times each year, twice to units and twice to educators. These AFA grants were distributed to 20 squadrons for use in any Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) activity or materials that promote aerospace education.
The Air Force Association advocates education in these crucial subjects to develop the skills necessary for the 21st Century jobs in fields sustaining U.S. air power. Use of the grants includes purchasing textbooks, materials, or activities such as field trips to aerospace museums.
“The next generation of aerospace development will be vital to the future of the nation,” said S. Sanford Schlitt, Vice Chairman of the Board, Aerospace Education. “These grants increase the visibility of the aerospace career field for some talented students.”
“We need to generate interest in aerospace early, and begin developing tomorrow’s innovators,” said Mike Dunn, President of AFA.
Squadrons receiving AFA Grants are as follows:
- Marauder Composite Squadron, Kingwood, Texas
- Malmstrom Composite Squadron, Great Falls, Montana
- New Century Composite Squadron, New Century, Kansas
- Mankato Composite Squadron, Mankato, Minnesota
- Osprey composite Squadron, Baldwin, Maryland
- Rutland Composite Squadron, Center Rutland, Vermont
- Edmond Composite Squadron, Edmond, Oklahoma
- Lt Col Frank Pocher Minuteman Squadron, Acton, Massachusetts
- Group 1 Headquarters, Parker, Colorado
- Central Fellowship Christian Academy, Macon, Georgia
- Lt Col Julius Jackson Composite Squadron, Northbrook, Illinois
- Tehachapi Composite Squadron, Tehachapi, California
- Sumter Composite Squadron, Sumter, South Carolina
- NCR-ND-119, Georgetown, Minnesota
- Willow Grove Squadron, Horsham, Pennsylvania
- Thames River Composite Squadron, Oakdale, Connecticut
- Milwaukee Composite Squadron 5, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- AL 801, Boaz, Alabama
- Maxwell Composite Squadron, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama
- San Diego Cadet Squadron 144, San Diego, California
AFA is a 501(C)(3), nonprofit organization promoting public understanding of aerospace power and the pivotal role it plays in the security of the nation. AFA has over 200 chapters nationally and internationally representing 120,000 members. Visit AFA www.AFA.org.
Return to AFA Press Releases