For Immediate Release
March 16, 2010
AFA Announces Spring 2010 JROTC Instructor Grants
Arlington, VA – The Air Force Association (AFA) today announced 10 recipients of the AFJROTC Instructor Grants for the Spring of 2010, an AFA education initiative promoting the development of aerospace professionals.
The grants, each up to $250, are provided to instructors of Air Force Junior ROTC units. This initiative promotes knowledge of aerospace power through classroom activities or materials that benefit the entire group of students, such as field trips to aerospace museums or Air Force bases, or DVDs that encourage interest in aerospace topics.
“The nation will need skilled aerospace professionals in the decades ahead,” said S. Sanford Schlitt, Vice Chairman of the Board, Aerospace Education. “AFA appreciates the dedication of these instructors. These grants give students insight into important career fields.”
To qualify, teachers complete an application and send it directly to ROTC HQ where selection of recipients is made. JROTC units may apply for this grant every other school year.
AFA strongly advocates aerospace education and the development of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics as the foundational skills necessary to sustain U.S. airpower, national security and economic vitality.
Congratulations to the following grant recipients:
- Scott Ostrow, Dublin High School, Dublin, Georgia
- Steven Rakel, Pearsall High School, Pearsall, Texas
- Kyle Mantel, Lake View High School, San Angelo, Texas
- Gaylord Winge, Northside High School, Warner Robins, Georgia
- David Mendoza, Daphne High School, Daphne, Alabama
- Brian O’Connell, Surry Central High School, Dobson, North Carolina
- Charles Merriott, McDowell High School, Erie, Pennsylvania
- John Sanders, Citrus High School, Inverness, Florida
- Clifford Moriarty, Wilson High School, Florence, South Carolina
- Roy Taylor, Niceville High School, Niceville, Florida
For more information on AFA grants and scholarships, contact: Lynette Cross at 703.247.5800 ext 4807 or LCross@AFA.org.
The AFA is a 501(C)(3), nonprofit organization promoting public understanding of aerospace power and the pivotal role it plays in the security of the nation. AFA has over 200 chapters nationally and internationally representing 120,000 members. Visit AFA www.AFA.org.
Return to AFA Press Releases