For Immediate Release
April 11, 2011
AFA Announces Spring 2011 Civil Air Patrol Educator Grants
Arlington, VA – The Air Force Association (AFA) proudly announces the 18 recipients of the Civil Air Patrol Educator Grant, an education initiative funded by AFA and managed by the Civil Air Patrol Headquarters.
The CAP Educator Grants are each up to $250, and provided to teachers who are members of either the Air Force Association or the Civil Air Patrol. From designing model airplanes and launching rockets, to visiting Air Traffic Control towers and bases, AFA and CAP are helping teachers promote public awareness of aerospace power and the pivotal role it plays in national security. The initiative funds classroom activities or materials that benefit the entire group of students and promote knowledge of aerospace power. Grants can be applied toward field trips to aerospace museums or Air Force bases, or for books, DVDs or videotapes on aerospace topics.
“We must continue to excite and motivate students to pursue STEM studies, which are the basic foundations of aerospace development,” said George Muellner, AFA’s Vice Chairman of the Board for Aerospace Education. “AFA and CAP continue to sustain a firm commitment to the education of our youth, and we are truly pleased to have the opportunity to support the efforts of aerospace educators as they develop innovative approaches to the curriculum.”
AFA strongly advocates aerospace education and the development of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics as the foundational skills necessary to sustain U.S. airpower, national security and economic vitality.
Below are the grant recipients:
- Travis Angell, Washington Irving Elementary, Waverly, IA
- Gary Bodman, Madison Middle School, Albuquerque, NM
- Gregory Boggs, California Aerospace Academy, McClellan, CA
- Cheryl Bremer, California Aerospace Academy, McClellan, CA
- Kathy Boyte, Wright Elementary, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
- Christopher Chambers, Shamrock Middle School, Decatur, GA
- Susie Comer, Warren East Middle School, Bowling Green, KY
- Barbara Corbin, Van Buren Elementary, Van Buren, OH
- Richard Edgerton, Aviation High School, Des Moines, WA
- Kaci Heins, Peak School, Flagstaff, AZ
- Laura Hummell, Anthem School, Anthem, AZ
- Elizabeth Kinsey, Anthem School, Anthem, AZ
- Melissa Schmitt, Anthem School, Anthem, AZ
- Marlene Moore, Canyon Owyhee School Services Agency, Wilder, ID
- Rachel Noles, Boaz Intermediate School, Boaz, AL
- Sandy Sanders, Headland Elementary, Headland, AL
- Gary Schaefer, Bowie Unified School District #14, Bowie, AZ
- Anne Stultz, Martinsville Middle School, Martinsville, VA
For more information on AFA grants and scholarships, contact: Lynette Cross at 703.247.5800 ext 4807 or email@example.com.
The AFA is a 501(C)(3), nonprofit organization promoting public understanding of aerospace power and the pivotal role it plays in the security of the nation. AFA has over 200 chapters nationally and internationally representing 120,000 members. Visit AFA www.AFA.org.
Return to AFA Press Releases