For Immediate Release
July 28, 2011
AFA Announces 2011 National Aerospace Awards
Arlington, VA – The Air Force Association (AFA) is pleased to announce award recipients for the National Aerospace Awards program.
Many of the awards will be presented at ceremonies during AFA’s 2011 Air & Space Conference and Technology Exposition scheduled for September 19-21, 2011, while other awards will be presented at the award recipient’s location. This year’s conference returns to the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center on the Potomac, in National Harbor, just across the river from Alexandria and minutes from downtown Washington, DC.
Among this year’s highlights:
- The H. H. Arnold Award to General Duncan J. McNabb, Commander, U.S. Transportation Command
- The John R. Alison Award to United Launch Alliance for the Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle, a joint venture between Boeing and Lockheed Martin
- The W. Stuart Symington Award to Representative C.W. Bill Young, Florida 10th District
- The AFA Lifetime Achievement Awards to:
- Mrs. Natalie W. Crawford, Senior Fellow, RAND Corporation
- Thomas P. Stafford, Lt Gen, USAF (Ret)
- Larry D. Welch, Gen, USAF (Ret)
- Heavy Bombardment Crews of WWII
- The Commando Sabre Operation – Call sign “MISTY”
- The AFA Chairman’s Aerospace Education Award to the National Science Foundation
Presenters at the Opening and Awards Ceremonies on September 19th include Secretary of the Air Force Michael B. Donley, Chief of Staff of the Air Force General Norton A. Schwartz, Commanders from the Air Force’s Major Commands and AFA’s Chairman of the Board Sandy Schlitt. More information on the awards and the ceremonies is available at http://www.afa.org/AboutUs/faq.asp.
“The Air Force Association is pleased to recognize the distinguished accomplishments of individuals, organizations and corporations who have made such significant contributions to the nation’s security and well being,” said Sandy Schlitt, AFA Chairmen of the Board. “It is with their exceptional dedication, leadership and performance that this nation can press forward to meet new challenges.”
View the 2011 National Aerospace Award recipients
The AFA is a 501(c)(3), nonprofit organization promoting public understanding of aerospace power and the pivotal role it plays in the security of the nation. AFA has over 200 chapters nationally and internationally representing 120,000 members.
Learn more about AFA! Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
Return to AFA Press Releases