For Immediate Release
October 25, 2011
AFA Announces Fall 2011 Civil Air Patrol Educator Grants
Arlington, VA – The Air Force Association (AFA) proudly announces the 22 recipients of the Civil Air Patrol Educator Grant, an education initiative funded by AFA and managed by the Civil Air Patrol Headquarters.
The CAP Educator Grants are each up to $250, and provided to teachers who are members of either the Air Force Association or the Civil Air Patrol. This initiative funds classroom activities or materials that benefit the entire group of students and promote knowledge of aerospace power. From designing model airplanes and launching rockets to visiting Air Traffic Control towers and bases, AFA and CAP are teaming up to help promote aerospace education and the pivotal role aerospace power plays in national security. Grants can be applied toward field trips to aerospace museums or Air Force bases, or for books, DVDs or videotapes on aerospace topics.
“The Air Force Association and CAP maintain a firm commitment to furthering the educational opportunities for students,” said George Muellner, Vice Chairman of the Board for Aerospace Education. “In the future, the nation will call for skilled individuals in the aerospace-related fields. AFA is happy to support these dedicated educators who demonstrate great interest in developing their students’ knowledge in aerospace education.”
AFA strongly advocates aerospace education and the development of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics as the foundational skills necessary to sustain U.S. airpower, national security and economic vitality.
Below are the grant recipients:
- Tanya Anderson, St. Joan of Arc School, Lisle, IL
- Teri Boxberger, Walker Elementary, Crestview, FL
- Geoffrey M. Chandler, Wesley Lakes Elementary School, McDonough, GA
- Bonnie Dertz, Freeport Middle School, Freeport, IL
- Celeste DeVine, Anthem School, Anthem, AZ
- Scott Erickson, Milton High School, Milton, FL
- Maria Frewert, Space Science for Schools, Inc., Incline Village, NV
- Debbie Hamilton, Antioch Christian Academy, Lumberton, NC
- Mike Hansen, Linden School, Malden, MA
- Janie Hill, Gardner Math, Science and Technology Magnet, Hot Springs, AR
- James W. Johnson, Children's Center for Treatment and Education, Custer City, PA
- Penny Lamb, Webster Springs Middle School, Webster Springs, WV
- Tammy Leker, Crestwood Elementary School, North Little Rock, AR
- Kurt Lichtenwald, Helen Keller Elementary School, Green Bay, WI
- Julie Lloyd, Hawthorney Elementary School, Salt Lake City, UT
- Lori Loadholtz, San Jose Catholic School, Jacksonville, FL
- Benjamin R. Lucero, South Mountain High School/Aerospace Magnet Program, Phoenix, AZ
- Tammy D. Martin, Dekalb County Schools Annex, Rainsville, AL
- Laura Pink, Antioch Elementary School, Crestview, FL
- Michael L. Reynolds, E-Techs Charter High School, Sparks, NV
- Lee Wheeler, Dooly County High School, Vienna, GA
- Rebecca Wood, Kemmerer Elementary School, Diamondville, WY
For more information on AFA grants and scholarships, contact Lynette Cross at 703.247.5800 ext 4807 or email@example.com.
Return to AFA Press Releases