For Immediate Release
September 6, 2012
AFA Announces 2012 National Aerospace Awards”
ARLINGTON, Va. – The Air Force Association (AFA) is pleased to announce award recipients for the National Aerospace Awards program.
Many of the awards will be presented at ceremonies during AFA’s 2012 Air & Space Conference and Technology Exposition scheduled for September 17-19, 2012, while other awards will be presented at the award recipient’s location. This year’s conference will once again be held at the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center on the Potomac, in National Harbor, just across the river from Alexandria and minutes from downtown Washington, DC.
Among this year’s highlights:
- The H. H. Arnold Award to Gen. Norton A. Schwartz, Former Chief of Staff of the U.S. Air Force
- The John R. Alison Award to The Boeing Company, due to their technical excellence in the development of Global Positioning System, Wide Band Global System and the X-37 System
- The W. Stuart Symington Award to James L. Jones, Gen., USMC (Ret.)
- The David C. Schilling Award to the Advanced Extremely High Frequency Satellite Rescue Team
- The AFA Lifetime Achievement Awards to:
- James P. McCarthy, Gen., USAF (Ret.)
- Vietnam POWs
- Berlin Airlift Aircrews
- Korean War Airmen
- Fighter Pilots of World War II
- The AFA Chairman’s Aerospace Education Award to the Military Channel
Presenters at the Opening and Awards Ceremonies on September 17th include Secretary of the Air Force Michael B. Donley, Chief of Staff of the Air Force General Mark A. Welsh, Commanders from the Air Force’s Major Commands and AFA’s Chairman of the Board Sandy Schlitt. More information on the awards and the ceremonies is available at http://www.afa.org/AboutUs/faq.asp.
“The U.S. Air Force and the aerospace community continually excel due to the hard work, fresh ideas and notable accomplishments of the people, organizations and companies who comprise it,” said Sandy Schlitt, AFA Chairman of the Board. “Because of the dedication, leadership and expertise of those same people, this nation, too, has been able to lead in innovation and performance. We owe much gratitude to them, and the Air Force Association is happy to be able to acknowledge some of many who have been instrumental in this nation’s success.”
View the 2012 National Aerospace Award recipients
The Air Force Association is a non-profit, independent, professional military and aerospace education association. Our mission is to promote a dominant United States Air Force and a strong national defense, and to honor Airmen and our Air Force Heritage. To accomplish this, we:
AFA has 200 chapters nationally and internationally representing more than 105,000 members. Visit AFA at
- EDUCATE the public on the critical need for unmatched aerospace power and a technically superior workforce to ensure U.S. national security.
- ADVOCATE for aerospace power and STEM education.
- SUPPORT the Total Air Force family and promote aerospace education.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Blogger
Return to AFA Press Releases