For Immediate Release
July 27, 2012
AFA Announces 2012 Summer Civil Air Patrol Grant Recipients
Arlington, VA – The Air Force Association (AFA) proudly announces the 22 recipients of the Civil Air Patrol Educator Grant, an education initiative funded by AFA and managed by the Civil Air Patrol Headquarters.
The CAP Educator Grants are each up to $250, and provided to teachers who are members of either the Air Force Association or the Civil Air Patrol. From designing model airplanes and launching rockets, to visiting Air Traffic Control towers and bases, AFA and CAP are helping teachers promote public awareness of aerospace power and the pivotal role it plays in national security. The initiative funds classroom activities or materials that benefit the entire group of students and promote knowledge of aerospace power. Grants can be applied toward field trips to aerospace museums or Air Force bases, or for books, DVDs or videotapes on aerospace topics.
“The partnership AFA has with the Civil Air Patrol continues to be fueled with a passion for furthering the educational opportunities for students,” said George Muellner, AFA’s Vice Chairman of the Board for Aerospace Education. “These instructors continue to work hard and passionately to effectively engage students in aerospace and Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) education. As those skill sets are vital to sustaining an industry that our national security relies so heavily on, AFA feels privileged to help support those instructors’ efforts as they develop innovative ways to educate their students.”
AFA strongly advocates aerospace education and the development of STEM as the foundational skills necessary to sustain U.S. airpower, national security and economic vitality.
Below are the grant recipients:
- Bruce Brown, Aiken Composite Squadron, Aiken, SC
- Capt. Shawn Steward, Bakersfield Composite Squadron 121, Bakersfield, CA
- Jeffry Handal, Capital City Composite Squadron, Baton Rouge, LA
- Barry Elder, Clark County Composite Squadron, Athens, GA
- Virginia Knudsen, Crystal Lake Middle School Cadet Squadron, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Everett Bennett, Dover Composite Squadron, Milford, DE
- Matthew Cribb, East Tucson Cadet Squadron, Tucson, AZ
- Mark Fridell, California Wing, San Ramon, CA
- David Taylor, Hammond Composite Squadron, Hammond, LA
- Capt. Michael Runyan, Hernando County Composite Squadron, Brooksville, FL
- Jose L. Colon, Hormigueros Cadet Squadron, Mayaguez, PR
- Jim Wresch, Lake in the Hills Composite Squadron, Algonquin, IL
- Clay Wilkins, Leesburg Composite Squadron, Herndon, VA
- Maj. Rick Frattali, Osprey Composite Squadron, Baldwin, MD
- Steven Goetz, Shawnee Composite Squadron, New Burnside, IL
- Horance E. Booker, Southside Composite Squadron, Richmond, VA
- Stephen M. Rocketto, Thames River Composite Squadron, Oakdale, CT
- Lt. Col. Kelly G. Noler, Tyndall Panama Composite Squadron, Panama City, FL
- Maj. Johnny White, Van Dyke Cadet Squadron, New Baltimore, MI
- Lt. Prahas Nafissian, Verde Valley Composite Squadron 205, Sedona, AZ
- D.E. Echlin, Potomac Highlands Composite Squadron, Petersburg, WV
- Kenneth C. Fortes, Stratford Eagles, Stratford, CT
- 1Lt Paul Munson, Nittany Composite Squadron, Bellefonte, PA
The Air Force Association is a non-profit, independent, professional military and aerospace education association. Our mission is to promote a dominant United States Air Force and a strong national defense, and to honor Airmen and our Air Force Heritage. To accomplish this, we:
AFA has 200 chapters nationally and internationally representing more than 105,000 members. Visit AFA at
- EDUCATE the public on the critical need for unmatched aerospace power and a technically superior workforce to ensure U.S. national security.
- ADVOCATE for aerospace power and STEM education.
- SUPPORT the Total Air Force family and promote aerospace education.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Blogger
Return to AFA Press Releases