For Immediate Release
January 12, 2012
AFA Awards Aerospace Education Grants to Civil Air Patrol Squadrons
Arlington, VA – The Air Force Association today announced the 20 recipients of AFA’s aerospace education grants, promoting aerospace education for hundreds of students through Civil Air Patrol (CAP) squadrons.
AFA advocates education in these crucial subjects to develop the skills necessary for the 21st century jobs in fields sustaining U.S. air power and national security. AFA awards these education grants, each $250, four times each year, twice to units and twice to individual educators.
These specific grants are distributed for use in any Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) activity or materials that promote aerospace education, which includes purchasing textbooks, materials, or activities such as field trips to aerospace museums.
“For years, the Air Force Association and the Civil Air Patrol have maintained a great relationship that has been fueled by a passion to effectively engage students in aerospace education,” said George Muellner, AFA’s Vice Chairman of the Board for Aerospace Education. “These grants contribute to advancing the knowledge base for hundreds of students by subduing the costs of both necessary materials and exciting activities, and we are very proud to provide that assistance.”
Squadrons receiving AFA Grants are as follows:
- Pontchatrain Composite Squadron, New Orleans, LA
- Waukesha Composite Squadron, Pewaukee, WI
- Columbus Composite Squadron, Columbus, NE
- 153rd Madison Composite Squadron, Madison, WI
- 176th Selfridge Composite Squadron, Ray, MI
- South Charlotte Cadet Squadron, Indian Trail, NC
- Nighthawk Composite Squadron, Denton, TX
- 71st Eielson Composite Squadron, Eielson AFB, AK
- Wheatland Composite Squadron, Wheatland, WY
- McLean County Composite Squadron, Normal, IL
- Singing River Composite Squadron, Moss Point, MS
- Greenville Composite Squadron, Greenville, SC
- Lapeer Composite Squadron, Attica, MI
- Fox Cities Composite Squadron, Appleton, WI
- Timmerman Composite Squadron, Milwaukee, WI
- 102nd Composite Squadron of RI CAP, Cumberland, RI
- Martinsburg Composite Squadron, Shepherdstown, WV
- 9th Composite Squadron, Fairbanks, AK
- La013 Senior Squadron, Shreveport, LA
- NC Wing Group Four, Rock Hill, SC
For more information on AFA grants and scholarships, contact: Lynette Cross at 703.247.5800 ext 4807 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Air Force Association is a non-profit, independent, professional military and aerospace education association. Our mission is to promote a dominant United States Air Force and a strong national defense, and to honor Airmen and our Air Force Heritage. To accomplish this, we:
AFA has 200 chapters nationally and internationally representing more than 105,000 members. Visit AFA at
- EDUCATE the public on the critical need for unmatched aerospace power and a technically superior workforce to ensure U.S. national security.
- ADVOCATE for aerospace power and STEM education.
- SUPPORT the Total Air Force family and promote aerospace education.
Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Blogger
Return to AFA Press Releases