401K, Dental, Life, Medical, Vision
The Communications Manager creates original and derivative content for distribution across a variety of platforms, producing speeches, scripts, programs, posts, emails, reports, videos, and more, each tailored to the target audience and distribution channel (Web, social media, print, etc.). This individual also monitors performance by tracking and analyzing metrics. Acting as an in-house beat reporter, and social media subject matter expert, the Communications Manager identifies stories worth telling, the target audience groups that will be interested, and the best possible media for reaching them. Must be a creative, flexible thinker and self-starter who can take an idea and run with it, work well with others, and tackle both complex/technical and human/emotional) story telling.
Writing/Video Editing/Creating (50%)
· Draft speeches, op-eds, scripts, releases, etc., as assigned
· Work with others to record live and virtual events using video cameras and/or Zoom/Teams
· Edit content as needed, either for release in whole or part; create original videos combining b-roll, voice over, music, still photos; edit event videos to add opens, closes, graphics, lower thirds, etc.
· Reports on association activities as a beat reporter. Work with staff and volunteers to identify and report stories of interest to various audience sectors; distribute content appropriate to that audience, choosing platform and messaging carefully in collaboration with others
· Contribute stories for AFA’s website, newsletters, and Air Force Magazine highlighting AFA programs and activities
Social Media (35%)
· Develop a voice for AFA on each major platform – AFA’s Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram – and continually refresh and update that content with an eye toward building an ever-larger audience
· Maintains and coordinate a social media calendar that tracks content for each channel and is representative of all AFA programs
· Leverages other AFA assets (events, programs, video, reports, etc.) to create dynamic content including video, audio, still photos, and memes to become a helpful and reliable source; develop share/follow relationships to expand audience reach
· Work with other departments to be an amplifier for them (and vice versa as appropriate)
· Tracks, analyzes, and reports metrics to build audience and engagement
General Communications (15%)
· Copy edits association external communications products
· Posts content to association website
· Assists with planning and executing both large and small events
· Supports department manager and adjacent departments as needed and assigned.
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience Required:
· Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent work experience
· At least five (5) years’ experiences in writing general communications content, social media, and video production
· Experience writing and editing articles for publication, scripts for video and events, and the ability to tell compelling stories
· Experience with or in the military highly desired
· Familiarity with Air Force and Space Force terms, language, culture, preferred
Certifications & Licenses Preferred:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
· Proficient in basic video editing for producing short videos and posting video content on social media
· Able to work under pressure and juggle multiple concurrent and competing priorities
· Capacity to work with multiple internal customers and personalities
· Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
· Excellent copy-editing skills – grammar, spelling, and knowledge of AP style
· Proficient with Microsoft Office, Web content management systems, mail management systems, and other enterprise software, plus ability to quickly learn other software systems
· Ability and commitment to act with integrity, professionalism, ethically and confidentiality
The Air Force Association is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, inclusion, and honoring the contributions of our country’s veterans.
Instructions for Applicants:
Please read the following carefully before beginning the application process.
To be considered for this position, please submit writing samples to include op-eds, articles, scripts, and any social media campaigns. You must also submit an AFA employment application, including salary requirements, a cover letter, and a resume to email@example.com.
The AFA application is available at https://www.afa.org/content/dam/afa/why-join/AFA%20Employment%20Application.pdf Incomplete and/or unofficial AFA applications will not be considered.