The Digital Editor is responsible for the digital presentation of Air Force Magazine content on AirForceMag.com, in email newsletters and alerts, and on social media platforms. S/he is responsible for search engine optimization (SEO), selecting photos, tracking website, social media, and email analytics, coordinating digital advertising, and troubleshooting problems.
The Digital Editor curates’ content for Radar Sweep, the aggregated content section of the Magazine’s Daily Report email, copy-edits news content, and provides the final quality check prior to digital publication. S/he also promotes content to other sites and newsletters for inclusion in their newsletters and aggregated content sections. The Digital Editor is also a content creator, covering news when possible.
Web Production (approximately 40% of effort):
· Responsible for daily website and email production for the WordPress AirForceMag.com site and the Daily Report newsletter.
· Builds, styles, tags, copy edits original content.
· Publishes and schedules posts and emails.
· Curates Sweep for additional content.
Reporting (approximately 30% of effort):
· Research and report important and relevant information for Air Force Magazine and AirForceMag.com readers.
· Develop enterprise coverage for both digital and print, write the monthly "Faces of the Force" page, maintain the COVID-19 Snapshot, and Events calendar.
· Other work as assigned.
Newsletter and Alert Production (approximately 15% of effort):
· Responsible for building, testing, and deploying the Daily Report email newsletter, breaking and regular news alerts, Your New Issue and In Case You Missed It issue emails, using our Pardot email system; troubleshoot, resolve, and/or report technical issues.
· Create email templates.
· Ensure ads appear correctly in email products.
Print to Digital Content Conversion (approximately 5% of effort):
· Oversee build-out of print issues for the web.
· Ensure articles are properly constructed and styled in WordPress; flag and fix errors; build and curate issue/topic-specific homepages.
· Ensure digital content is accessible for audiences with disabilities.
Media Management (approximately 5% of effort):
· Manage social media presence, crafting Facebook and Twitter posts and moderating comments in these media, monitor digital media analytics, and apply analytics to optimize presence.
· Reach out to other media to obtain earned media pickups in all formats.
· Responsible for effective Search Engine Optimization and website content curation.
· Gather and share website analytics for discussion and review.
Other Duties as assigned (approximately 5% of effort):
· Serve as a resource and backup for all AFA digital communications needs.
· Provide support for team members as needed.
· Works out of Air Force Association’s headquarters in Arlington, VA.
· Office hours are 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday to Friday, subject to modification based on the needs of each program or site.
· Operates in a professional office environment with travel to local offices, community partners, and events.
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience Required:
· Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent work experience.
· At least five (5) years’ experience in content development, marketing, and strategy for digital media.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
· Ability to serve as a technical/functional expert and provide effective guidance to others.
· Superior writing and editing skills, and ability to produce clear and consistent content suitable for digital platforms within short timeframes.
· Strong organizational skills and ability to consistently attend to details.
· Extensive knowledge of web content curation, content marketing, SEO, analytics, and effective social media marketing practices.
· Ability and commitment to keep information confidential.
· Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills and a high degree of comfort interacting with industry leaders and senior military officials.
· High degree of comfort working under pressure and with multiple concurrent priorities.
· Ability and commitment to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
· Ability to deploy sound judgment, sort through complex information, and make decisions.
· Ability to select and use effective approaches to choose a course of action and develop appropriate solutions.
· Proficient with Microsoft Office product suites (especially Excel and PowerPoint), WordPress, and knowledge or ability to learn other computer-based systems.
The Air Force Association is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, inclusion, and honoring the contributions of our country’s veterans.
Instructions for Applicants:
Please read the following carefully before beginning the application process.
To be considered for this position, you must submit an AFA employment application, including salary requirements, a cover letter, and a resume to email@example.com.
The AFA application is available at https://www.afa.org/content/dam/afa/why-join/AFA%20Employment%20Application.pdf Incomplete and/or unofficial AFA applications will not be considered.