The Director of Finance supervises the Finance team, monitors and implements financial processes and internal controls, has oversight of budgetary reporting and decision making and audit and tax preparation. The Director leads the organization’s financial reporting review and analysis of program performance and ensures AFA meets all Federal funding reporting requirements. The Director’s role incorporates strategic and tactical approaches to leading and managing AFA’s finance functions.
Financial Reporting, Development/Monitoring of Internal Controls (approximately 40% of effort):
· Lead review and oversight of Finance department’s monthly close and financial reporting processes.
· Provide financial reports to management and the Board of Directors, particularly the Finance Committee; interpret reports for users to assist in their key decision making.
· Develop, assess, and monitor internal control procedures including internal audit function.
· Review and submit required reporting to the Federal Government and monitor internal control policies to ensure compliance with government requirements.
· Supervise the work of the team, and ensuring staff are up to date on reporting and compliance requirements.
Budgeting & Forecasting (approximately 20% of effort):
· Develop budgetary assumptions for the organization, identifying cost savings, revenue goals, and key performance indicators; provide leadership with relevant and reliable finance budgets and forecasts.
· Lead review of budget submissions from each department, and partner to complete and manage final budgets.
· Responsible for planning and maintaining Association's necessary cash flow.
Oversight of Audit, Tax, and Certain HR Processes (approximately 20% of effort):
· Lead review of complex audit and tax work schedules.
· Evaluate, explain and recommend AFA audit and tax positions.
· Lead review of annual audit report and tax returns and present the information to the Audit Committee.
· Partner with the Human Resources Department and the Assistant Controller to support processes such as biweekly payroll, retirement plan and workers compensation audits.
Assess and Communicate Financial Results (approximately 15% of effort):
· Uses financial reports in conjunction with supplemental key performance indicators to assess program performance compared with budget and forecasts.
· Analyze and communicate complex financial information to staff leadership and Finance Committee for planning purposes and to minimize risk.
· Oversee projects aimed at providing leadership and governance with transparent financial information.
Other Duties as assigned (approximately 5% of effort):
· Provide advice, support, reports to program managers and other staff as situations require.
Works out of Air Force Association’s headquarters in Arlington, VA.
Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, subject to modification based on the needs of each program or site.
Operates in a professional office environment with travel to local offices, community partners, and events.
Routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The position requires sedentary work (sitting most of the time with no adverse environmental exposure) and occasional exertion of up to 25 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. The position also includes the following physical requirements:
· Movement. The employee in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
· The employee in this position needs to be able to operate a computer and other office productivity machinery such as a copy machine and printer.
· The employee is required to communicate and hold verbal conversations with others by means of the spoken word. Employee must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience Required:
· Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, business, or a related field.
· At least six (6) years of related experience, including as a Controller in a non-profit organization.
· Supervisory experience.
Education and Experience Preferred:
· Experience as an auditor or public accountant.
Certifications & Licenses Required:
Certifications & Licenses Preferred:
Core Competencies Required:
Budgeting and Finance
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
· Strong financial acumen and understanding of contracting and budgeting for non-profit organizations and associations.
· Extensive experience in program budgeting and fiscal management, general ledger accounting, closing processes, taxes, and financial statement preparation and analysis.
· Familiarity with Fonteva, Salesforce, Intacct or other accounting software and other key tools.
· Strong people and project management skills and the ability to influence and engage others.
· Strong organizational skills and ability to consistently attend to details and meet deadlines.
· Ability and commitment to keep information confidential.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Ability and commitment to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
· Excellent technical support, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
· Familiarity with benefits administration, retirement plans, payroll, and compliance and fiduciary responsibility.
· Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker.
· Proficient with Microsoft Office product suites (especially Excel and PowerPoint) and knowledge or ability to learn other computer-based systems.
Instructions for Applicants:
Please read the following carefully before beginning the application process.
To be considered for this position, you must submit an AFA employment application, including salary requirements, a cover letter, and a resume to the recruiter (at) afa.org. The AFA application is available at https://www.afa.org/content/dam/afa/why-join/AFA%20Employment%20Application.pdf Incomplete and/or unofficial AFA applications will not be considered