401K, Dental, Life, Medical, Vision
The HR Specialist (HRIS/Benefits/Compensation) is responsible for managing functions related to AFA’s employees in the following areas: employee lifecycle events, benefits and compensation administration, HR activities dashboard, performance management, and administering leave. Additionally, in partnership with the HR Senior Director and other team members, this HR Specialist is responsible for developing and managing the HRIS, inclusive of the Applicant Tracking System. This position is responsible for developing data analytics, developing and managing an HR Metrics Dashboard and associated reporting, and routine human resources tasks as needed to support the Human Resources Department.
The HR Specialist is responsible for project plans and schedules as AFA’s implementation of HRIS resources evolves. This position serves as a technical point-of-contact for the assigned functional areas and will support the Senior HR Director in developing and producing HR metrics.
Benefits Administration (approximately 40% of effort):
- Functional lead in benefits administration, coordinating benefits-related activities including open enrollment, new employee enrollment, benefits offboarding, administration of the profit-sharing plan, and communications.
- Serve as primary point of contact for questions about benefits, adding or removing covered family members, and other key tasks.
- Coordinate development and/or delivery of information from benefits providers, such as presentations, distribution of Summary Plan Documents (SPDs), materials for open enrollment and new employee onboarding.
- Manages leaves of absence (including medical, military, parental, short-term disability) by interfacing with employees, providers, and others to obtain and distribute the appropriate information.
Human Resources Information System Administration (approximately 30% of effort):
- Manage and maintain optimal function of the HRIS, which may include implementation of a new system or modules for existing systems, customization, development, maintenance, and upgrades; manage related projects and process improvement.
- Interface with employees, their managers, and organizational leadership, maintaining a customer-service approach, providing information and managing tasks in a timely and efficient manner.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to identify system and process improvements and enhancements; recommend and implement solutions.
- Manage permissions, access, and similar system operations and settings for HRIS users and provide technical support, troubleshooting, and guidance.
- Develop and implement customization such as automated queries, dashboards, and interfaces and compile or assist with reports and data analysis.
- Develop and maintain HR Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), employee handbook and policies, other HR communications.
- Serve as lead representative and liaison between HR, IT, external vendors, and other stakeholders for HRIS design and implementation projects, ongoing system integrity, and compliance with data security and privacy requirements.
- Maintain knowledge of trends and developments in HRIS providers, vendors, and technology, research and resolve problems, and perform scheduled activities.
- Recommend process improvements, innovative solutions, policy changes and/or variations (subject to approval by appropriate leadership prior to implementation).
- Conduct and/or facilitate training, including developing procedures and guidelines.
- Research and analyze statistical summaries and reports; identify new HR needs and make alterations to existing programs to fulfill those needs.
Compensation Administration (approximately 20% of effort):
- Oversee processes related to compensation administration, including communicating with employees and managers, updating systems and/or reports, and providing technical support for compensation change workflows in the HRIS.
- Issue compensation notifications such as wage notices and Total Rewards Statements, after approved processes.
- Support the Senior HR Director and AFA leadership in development and application of a consistent compensation system.
Other Duties as assigned (approximately 10% of effort):
- Support and back up as needed HR Administration functions to manage employee lifecycle events, such hiring, qualifying events, and status changes.
- Support development of additional HR systems and processes necessary to develop a robust HR function and culture.
- Ensure employees’ training and certifications are tracked.
- Handle employment-related inquiries related to areas of responsibility from employees and supervisors, referring complex and/or sensitive matters to the Senior Director of HR.
- Attend and participate in employee disciplinary meetings, terminations, and investigations as requested by the Senior HR Director.
- Maintain hard copy employee personnel files and information as appropriate.
- Serve as a reliable and knowledgeable back up for HR Department functions and team members.
- Provide support for AFA and HR Department events and communications.
- Ensure personal continuing education, including maintenance of relevant certifications and an up-to-date knowledge base to ensure compliance with local, state, and federal regulations and requirements.
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or equivalent work experience.
- At least 7 years of related experience, including at least 3 years at the exempt level.
Certifications & Licenses Preferred:
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP.
- Certified Employee Benefit Specialist (CEBS).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Ability to effectively utilize interpersonal skills and reliable information when working with internal customers, team members, and external stakeholders to accomplish project goals.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to consistently attend to details and meet deadlines.
- Ability and commitment to keep information confidential.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Ability and commitment to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Excellent technical support, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Thorough knowledge of benefits administration, employment-related laws and regulations.
- Ability to deploy sound judgment and willingness to exert influence as appropriate.
- Ability to select and use effective approaches to choose a course of action and develop appropriate solutions.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office product suites (especially Excel and PowerPoint) and knowledge or ability to learn other computer-based systems.
- Ability to ensure an HRIS meets AFA’s needs, goals, and the HR Director’s strategy and preferred tactics.
- Thorough understanding of all areas of information systems with a highly technical understanding of at least one commercial HRIS product.
The Air Force Association is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, inclusion, and honoring the contributions of our country’s veterans.
Instructions for Applicants:
To apply, complete the application below and send it, along with a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Incomplete and/or unofficial applications cannot be considered.