401K, Dental, Life, Medical, Vision
The Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Studies executes in-depth research and analysis to inform decision makers and the public at large about future trends in the realm of national security through the aerospace lens. The Research Analyst position focuses on supporting project leaders through research, analysis, graphics creation, and research source summaries.
Research (approximately 40% of effort):
• Complete subject matter investigation focused on aerospace strategy, operational concepts, tactics, and technology.
• Complete investigative source cultivation—primary source documentation, secondary source publications, media coverage, federal budget materials, and first-person experts.
• Analyze federal defense budget documents and Department of Defense hardware inventory listings.
• Perform quantitative data analysis.
Event support (approximately 30% of effort):
• Coordinate with team members to plan and execute workshops and tabletop exercises tied to research projects.
• Schedule first person subject matter expert research meetings for project leads.
• Help execute public engagement sessions in coordination with team members, including video webinar and podcast creation tied to Mitchell Institute focus areas.
Writing and production (approximately 30% of effort):
• Draft report sections as requested by project lead.
• Edit written materials drafted by project lead.
• Create resource citations—bibliographies, footnotes, etc.
• Partner with other members of the Mitchell Institute team to help execute overarching events and produce a range of written products.
• Works out of Air Force Association’s headquarters in Arlington, VA.
• Operates in a professional office environment with travel to local offices, community partners, and events.
• Hours of work in full-time status are generally Monday through Friday during business hours of 8:30am-5:00pm.
The position requires sedentary work (sitting with no adverse environmental exposure) as well as mobile work during events. The position also includes the following physical requirements:
• Movement. The employee in this position needs to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc. and move about in varied settings where events take place.
• The employee in this position needs to be able to operate a computer and other office productivity machinery such as a copy machine and printer.
• The employee is required to communicate and hold verbal conversations with others by means of the spoken word. Employee must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience Required:
• Bachelor’s degree in security studies, history, political science, international relations or relevant field or relevant work experience.
Education and Experience Preferred:
• Master’s degree, with focus on security studies.
• Air Force veteran status preferred.
• Knowledge of the Air Force preferred.
Certifications and Licenses Required:
Certifications and Licenses Preferred:
• Cybersecurity certification is preferred.
• Must be able to travel up to 5% of time.
• Must be able and willing to work overtime as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
• Excellent verbal and written communication and analytic skills, including adept presentation skills and the ability to speak in front of large groups and senior leaders.
• Strong ability to build and cultivate working relationships with a customer-service orientation.
• Strong time management skills and ability to independently prioritize work and meet deadlines.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office product suites (especially Excel and PowerPoint) and knowledge or ability to learn other computer-based systems.
• Background in information technology, management, organization and communications and cybersecurity.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the Federal policy and budget processes.
• Strong ability to build and cultivate working relationships via a customer-service orientation.
• Strong time management skills, ability to devise and execute effective strategic plans and prioritize independent work and the work of a high performing team.
• Ability to be consistently thorough and demonstrate attention to detail in completing tasks.
• Ability to be consistently reliable, responsible, and dependable in completing assigned tasks and engaging in a collaborative, teamwork approach.
The Air Force Association is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, inclusion, and honoring the contributions of our country’s veterans.
Instructions for Applicants:
Please read the following carefully before beginning the application process.
To be considered for this position, please submit writing samples to include op-eds, articles, scripts, and any social media campaigns. You must also submit an AFA employment application, including salary requirements, a cover letter, and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The AFA application is available at https://www.afa.org/content/dam/afa/why-join/AFA%20Employment%20Application.pdf Incomplete and/or unofficial AFA applications will not be considered.