401K, Dental, Life, Medical, Vision
The Senior Editor is responsible for generating content for Air Force Magazine, both online and in print, and supports other team members with editing and proofreading. The Senior Editor covers the Air Force, Space Force, and other defense and industry topics, with particular focus on the Space Force, Nuclear systems, Congress, science and technology, cyber operations, and personnel matters. S/he is a backup editor of the Daily Report.
Writing (approximately 40% of effort):
· Write 10 to 15 news articles per week, averaging 400-1,200 words, for AirForceMag.com.
· Research and write one to two (1 to 2) magazine features per month, averaging 2,000 to 3,000 words.
Reporting (approximately 30% of effort):
· Gather news through events, press conferences, calls, email, travel, and by developing a network of sources.
· Curate and succinctly report important and relevant information gathered in various media.
Research/Data Analysis (approximately 10% of effort):
· Review government and think tank reports, legislative proposals, legislation, etc.
· Gather and analyze data to reveal trends.
Editing (approximately 10% of effort):
· Copy edits and/or proof-read colleagues’ daily web and monthly print content as needed.
Web Production (approximately 5% of effort):
· Research, save, and use photos and hyperlinks for daily content.
· Research, save, and incorporate appropriate content for the Daily Report on the AirForceMag.com website.
· Publish proofed and properly arranged content via WordPress.
· Prepare news alerts and update social media channels.
Other Duties as assigned (approximately 5% of effort):
· Assist other staff with editing, proofreading, content development.
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience Required:
· Bachelor’s degree in journalism or other relevant field or equivalent work experience.
· Knowledge of or experience in the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Space Force, and all related equipment, industries, leadership, and current affairs.
· Extensive experience reporting and writing for digital and print formats.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
· Ability to serve as a technical/functional expert and provide effective guidance to others.
· Superior writing and editing skills, and ability to produce clear and consistent content within a short turnaround time.
· Strong organizational skills and ability to consistently attend to details and meet deadlines.
· Ability to think strategically about content selection and editorial decisions.
· Ability and commitment to keep information confidential.
· Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills and a high degree of comfort interacting with industry leaders and senior military officials.
· High degree of comfort working under pressure and with multiple concurrent priorities.
· Ability and commitment to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
· Ability to deploy sound judgment, sort through complex information, and make decisions.
· Ability to select and use effective approaches to choose a course of action and develop appropriate solutions.
The Air Force Association is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, inclusion, and honoring the contributions of our country’s veterans.
Instructions for Applicants:
Please read the following carefully before beginning the application process.
To be considered for this position, you must submit an AFA employment application, including salary requirements, a cover letter, and a resume to the recruiter (at) afa.org. The AFA application is available at https://www.afa.org/content/dam/afa/why-join/AFA%20Employment%20Application.pdf Incomplete and/or unofficial AFA applications will not be considered.