Senior Fellow, Space Studies
The Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Studies is seeking a Senior Fellow in Space Studies that will be responsible for leading research specific to national security space to include strategies and operational concepts, the space industrial base, enabling technologies, as well as policy and budget issues. The Senior Fellow, Space Studies is a unique position that will provide insights, analysis, and perspectives for the national security community on all areas related to military space strategy, operational concepts, and technologies.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND GENERAL ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Research, Publish, Promote (approximately 65% of effort):
· Produce regular, timely reports and issue papers that will help provide informed additions to the space power debate and decision-making process
· Stimulate and inform forward leaning topical coverage in the news media, including authoring regular opinion essays
· Responsible for hosting working groups to bring government officials, industry experts, and members of the science and technology community together to collaboratively consider key points of interest
· Host forums and symposiums to discuss key space topics, including Mitchell Institute’s “Space Power for the Warfighter” Capitol Hill breakfast series
· Serve as an informal advisor to leaders in the Department of Defense, on Capitol Hill, industry, and the broader policy and budget community
· Participate as a regular voice on the Mitchell Institute Aerospace Nation video and Aerospace Advantage podcast series
· Conduct self-guided activity aimed to be at the leading edge of current and emerging issues, decisions, trends, and challenges in military space, the industrial base that supports it, and associated technology and engineering
Business Development for Mitchell Institute programs (approximately 20% of effort):
· Develop and promote the profile and contacts of the Mitchell Institute to further revenue and growth
· Maintain necessary professional networks to facilitate issue expertise, subject matter currency, subject matter expert access, fundraising capability, and general mission execution
· Coordinate within Mitchell Institute and AFA to execute Space Center of Excellence objectives orderly and collaboratively
· Share network access with Mitchell Institute staff to facilitate broader enterprise goals
· Seek business opportunities for broader Mitchell Institute program portfolio
Support Mitchell Institute program events (approximately 10% of effort):
· Partner with the Mitchell Institute Operations Coordinator and the Meetings and Events team to facilitate event logistical arrangements (book event venue, catering arrangements, on-site coordination, media coordination, necessary speaker coordination, serve as official event host, etc.).
· Manage event strategy and ensure individual event goals and overall standards of quality are met
· Serve as a key point of contact during events to support speakers and attendees
Other Duties as assigned (approximately 5% of effort):
· Other duties as projects as assigned.
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience Required:
Bachelor’s or Master’s in a National Security-related field
A minimum of 15+ years professional experience and a min of 5 years at a senior level in the Department of Defense, Congress, or defense industry focused on national security space issues
Education and Experience Preferred:
Certifications & Licenses Preferred:
Weapons School Graduate
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
The Air Force Association is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, inclusion, and honoring the contributions of our country’s veterans.
Instructions for Applicants:
Please read the following carefully before beginning the application process.
To be considered for this position, you must submit an AFA employment application, including salary requirements, a cover letter, and a resume to the recruiter (at) afa.org. The AFA application is available at https://www.afa.org/content/dam/afa/why-join/AFA%20Employment%20Application.pdf Incomplete and/or unofficial AFA applications will not be considered.