401K, Dental, Life, Medical, Vision
The Event Speaker and Communications Manager is responsible supporting the planning, coordination, and execution of annual conferences, meetings, and events. The Manager works closely with the Events team to execute AFA’s strategic vision of the organization’s events profile. S/He will project manage and communicate effectively with all event speakers from point of invitation through event execution to ensure all assets, presentations, and speakers have a seamless experience and are assisted to deliver high quality content. The Manager will also assist in producing conference materials, recruiting speakers, organize all speakers on site and assume ownership for the speakers’ end-to-end process of running successful events.
During events, both in person and online, the Event Speaker and Communications Manager serves as the main point of contact for speakers and production staff to deliver content.
Speaker and Agenda Management (approximately 65% of effort):
- Develop and maintain AFA event calendar to deconflict dates and speakers across AFA’s portfolio of events
- Create, test, and optimize the speaker schedule and management process to improve speaker experience
- Act as main liaison with all speakers and moderators involved in AFA events, and keeping the events milestones on track pre-show and onsite while providing top notch customer service
- Send effective and regular scheduled communication emails and contact with speakers and their teams
- In close coordination with AFA Leadership, create and manage event agendas to meet strategic goals of each event and maintain event theme
- Acts as main liaison with DAF personnel during creation and production of Strategic Event agendas
Event Communications & Production (approximately 30% of effort):
- Manage collection of speaker presentations, biographies, headshots, and other documentation to meet all deadlines
- Collaborate with AFA’s Creative Director to produce event program guides
- Draft, write and edit scripts for speaking sessions for AFA’s events in accordance with event themes and directives as assigned
- Collect and track room logistical and AV requirements for speakers in coordination with Event team
- Act as session room lead during event, coordinating with production staff, AFA staff, speakers, and guests to produce in-person and virtual events
- Create and maintain content for AFA event websites and virtual platforms
- Draft, write, edit, and distribute content for email blasts, surveys and website content for AFA events portfolio
- Schedule and host speaker, moderator, and panel session participant pre-con calls in advance of events
Other Duties as assigned (approximately 5% of effort):
- Assist in special projects and other tasks as assigned
- Works out of Air & Space Forces Association’s headquarters in Arlington, VA.
- Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, subject to modification based on the needs of each program or site.
- Operates in a professional office environment with travel to local offices, community partners, and events.
- Routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- Must be able to work overtime and travel as needed.
The position requires sedentary work (sitting most of the time with no adverse environmental exposure) and occasional exertion of up to 25 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. The position also includes the following physical requirements:
- Movement. The employee in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc., and travel to and move around in varied locations.
- The employee in this position needs to be able to operate a computer and other office productivity machinery such as a copy machine and printer.
- The employee is required to communicate and hold verbal conversations with others by means of the spoken word. Employee must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelors’ degree in marketing, communications, business, hospitality management or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- At least five (5) years of related experience.
- Project management and logistics coordination experience.
Education and Experience Preferred:
- Experience managing speaker processes and executing events
- Experience with the Department of the Air Force, or Department of Defense or other military branch
- Experience with producing virtual events
Certifications & Licenses Required:
Department Core Competencies:
- Interpersonal Skills
- Technical Competencies (Marketing)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Ability to maintain exceptional attention to details in complex events and manage all related functions.
- Strong ability to prioritize, produce, and remain calm in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with the US Air Force and/or military ranks, insignia, and structure.
- Knowledge of membership-based organizations and chapter management practices.
- Experience managing and leading others, including volunteers.
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills and a high degree of comfort interacting with industry leaders and senior military officials.
- Ability to be a forward-thinking strategist and tactician.
- Ability to effectively utilize interpersonal skills and reliable information when working with internal customers, team members, and external stakeholders to accomplish project goals.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability and commitment to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office product suites (especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and knowledge or ability to learn other computer-based systems.
The Air & Space Forces Association is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, inclusion, and honoring the contributions of our country’s veterans.
Instructions for Applicants:
To apply, complete the application below and send it, along with a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements, to email@example.com. Incomplete and/or unofficial applications cannot be considered.