Air Force Magazine seeks a Managing Editor/News to lead our Daily Report news team. The Managing Editor/News is responsible for leading daily news coverage of the U.S. Air Force and U.S. Space Force and for helping to plan and coordinate staff contributions to the printed magazine (10 issues/year). The Daily Report reaches more than 86,000 daily subscribers and an engaged online audience of AirForceMag.com readers consuming close to 1 million news pages per month. The Managing Editor/News will work closely with three direct reports, plus other staff and freelance contributors to create a vital morning read that helps set the agenda for the Department of the Air Force and its associated aerospace industry, as well as for interested members of the public all around the world.
Air Force Magazine has a decades-long reputation as a fiercely independent, apolitical editorial product, dedicated to quality reporting and analysis on current issues in air and space power and U.S. national defense. We are looking for a driven, savvy editorial leader who will be a player coach, creating original content as well as guiding the work of others. The ideal candidate has extensive military reporting experience covering air and space power; is excited about new technology, national security policy and strategy; and all the societal and personnel issues affecting military life. We seek a creative and analytical thinker as comfortable editing as being edited and able to work with a diversity of colleagues and sources.
Tell us why you are the best candidate for this job in a one-page letter, including links to recent work examples citing their relevance to this job posting.
What you’ll do each day:
- Oversee all aspects of the AirForceMag.com website
- Help conceive and produce feature content for the Magazine and website, including opportunities for audio and video content
- Act as a critical liaison between other AFA departments and the Magazine staff
- Direct content for AirForceMag's social media channels
What you’ll need to be considered:
- Knowledge and interest in military affairs
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field, or the equivalent in experience
- At least 8 years relevant experience
- Practical experience managing a website and working with email systems
- Strong writing skills (writing samples required!)
What’s in it for you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Incredible connections
- Opportunity for travel
- A worthy mission
The Air & Space Forces Association is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, inclusion, and honoring the contributions of our country’s veterans.
Instructions for Applicants:
To apply, complete the application below and send it, along with a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Incomplete and/or unofficial applications cannot be considered.