July 23, 2018
AFA's 2018 Scholarship Recipients Announced
Arlington, Va. - The Air Force Association (AFA) announced today the 2018 recipients of its Mike and Gail Donley Spouse Scholarships, Col Aaron Burgstein Memorial Scholarship, Lt Col Romeo and Bass Ferretti Scholarship, Capt Jodi Callahan Memorial Scholarship, Col Loren J. and Lawona R. Spencer Scholarship, and Lt Gen George and Vicki Muellner Academic Scholarship.
2018 is the first year AFA is awarding four Mike and Gail Donley Spouse Scholarships, thanks to the generous contribution of Kristen Christy, President of AFA’s Lance P. Sijan Chapter, and her son, Ben Christy.
Mike and Gail Donley Spouse Scholarship:
This program awards $2,500 scholarships annually to encourage Air Force spouses worldwide to pursue higher education.
1. Brittany Gettis
- E5 AD Spouse
- Pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Interdisciplinary Studies at the University of Toledo
2. Nina Hebert
- E5 Active Duty Spouse
- Pursuing a master’s degree in Communications at Johns Hopkins University
3. Holly Babineau
- AFLCMC, Department of the Air Force Civilian
- Pursuing master’s degree in Social Work at Boston College
4. Nakayla Chan
- O-3 Active Duty Spouse
- Pursuing master’s degree in Physician Assistant Studies at the University of St. Francis
Col Aaron Burgstein Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship program was established to aid minor dependents of (officer or enlisted) Active Duty, veteran, or retired service members; Reservists; or National Guard members of all branches, pursuing a degree at an accredited college or university.
- Parent is Active Duty Air Force, O5
- Pursuing a Mechanical Engineering degree at Iowa State University
Lt Col Romeo and Bass Ferretti Scholarship:
This scholarship awards $5,000 to minor dependents of Air Force Active Duty, Reserve, or Air National Guard enlisted Airmen pursuing an undergraduate STEM degree.
- Parent is a retired Air Force E7
- Pursuing a Health Sciences degree at Valdosta State University
Capt Jodi Callahan Memorial Scholarship:
This scholarship provides $1,000 in financial assistance and recognition to an Active Duty, full-time Guard, or Reserve (officer or enlisted) Airman pursuing a master's degree in a non-technical field.
SSgt Charles Smith
- Pursuing Business Administration degree at DeVry University Keller Graduate School of Management
Col Loren J. and Lawona R. Spencer Scholarship:
This scholarship provides $5,000 for Air Force personnel (officer or enlisted, Air Force civilian, full-time National Guard and full-time Reserve) to pursue graduate level education in management and administration fields in preparation for senior level leadership roles.
1. MSgt Derrick Combs
- Pursuing a master’s degree in Business Administration in Aviation at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
2. Lt Col Laura Ramos
- Other (DRU/FOA)
- Pursuing master’s degree in Business Administration at Cornell University
3. Capt Sonya Yelbert
- Pursuing a master’s degree in Business Administration at University of Maryland University College (UMUC)
Lt Gen George and Vicki Muellner Academic Scholarship
This program assists cadets who are members of either the Arnold Air Society or Silver Wings. Two $5,000 scholarships are awarded annually.
1. Cadet Youngjun Park
- Arnold Air Society Capt Don Brown Squadron
- Pursuing a degree in Computational and Systems Biology at the University of California, Los Angeles
2. Alexis Collazo
- Silver Wings Col Andrew Dougherty Chapter
- Pursuing a degree in Advertising and Public Relations at Rochester Institute of Technology
AFA is proud to present this year’s scholarship recipients and highlight all of their contributions toward furthering the AFA and Air Force mission.
Learn more about AFA awards at www.afa.org/community/field-awards.
The Air Force Association is a non-profit, independent, professional military and aerospace education association. Our mission is to promote a dominant United States Air Force and a strong national defense, and to honor Airmen and our Air Force Heritage.