September 24, 2019
2019 Air, Space & Cyber Conference Breaks Records
The Air Force Association (AFA) held its annual National Convention, September 14-15; and Air, Space & Cyber Conference, September 16-18, in National Harbor, MD.
Again, this year’s conference broke registration and attendance records with a registered 12,050 attendees. The event featured 149 exhibiting companies and organizations, displaying the latest air, space, and cyber technologies throughout a 100,000-square foot exposition hall.
More than 90 distinguished speakers participated in 28 panels and presentations, including a “fireside chat” between Sir Richard Branson, Founder, Virgin Group and former Air Force Secretary Whit Peters, Chairman of AFA's Board of Directors
Acting Air Force Secretary Matt Donovan officially named the Boeing-built T-X advanced trainer T-7A “Red Hawk” during his remarks at the conference. The name honors the Tuskegee Airmen—known as the “Red Tails”—as well as the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk, which the unit flew in their early WWII deployment to Europe. Donovan was joined by three Tuskegee Airmen for the announcement.
The theme for this year’s Air, Space & Cyber Conference was “Expanding the Competitive Edge.”
During AFA’s National Convention, AFA hosted 198 delegates from across the country. AFA’s delegates are the governing body of AFA and this year’s delegates voted on organizational changes and National Officers for AFA.
The following National Officers were elected for one-year terms:
- Gerald Murray (Kings Mountain, NC) – Chairman of the Board, first term
- Gavin Mac MacAloon (Nashua, NH) – Vice Chairman, Field Operations, fourth term
- Jim Hannam (Burke, VA) – Vice Chairman, Aerospace Education, second term
- Rick Hartle (East Layton, UT) – National Secretary, second term
- Steve Lundgren (Fairbanks, AK), National Treasurer, fourth term
The following National Directors were elected for three-year terms:
- Joe Burke (Centreville, VA) – National Director, at Large
- Molly Mae Potter (Austin, TX) – National Director, at Large
- Jim Simons (Minot, ND) - National Director, Central Area
AFA’s 36th Annual Air Warfare Symposium will be held February 26-28 at the Rosen Shingle Creek Hotel in Orlando, FL. Registration is slated to open in early November 2019. To learn more about sponsorship and exhibit opportunities, please contact Fred Ullman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 2020 Air, Space & Cyber Conference will again be hosted at the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center, September 14-16, 2020. Information regarding exhibit opportunities and registration can be found at www.afa.org.