Airmen Taking Care of Airmen
AFA created the Wounded Airman Program in 2011 with a focus on Airmen taking care of Airmen. Our Air Force Association family is made up of many supporters beyond those that have had the privilege of wearing the Air Force uniform. We are family members, community supporters, spouses, and friends. We are all Airmen and we will always take care of our own. AFA's Wounded Airman Program ensures that our Air Force brothers and sisters who have given so much to our great country will always be taken care of by their Air Force family.
Our program provides life-changing assistance to seriously wounded, ill, and injured Airmen and their families. We step up to help in the times they need it most. The Wounded Airman Program supports the Air Force Wounded Warrior (AFW2) program on its mission to provide personalized support and advocacy to wounded Airmen and their families.
But we can’t change so many lives on our own. Donors, sponsors, volunteers, and others help us care for all of our brothers and sisters during all stages of service in the Air Force. Through the support of our local communities and national sponsors, we have provided more than $625,000 to wounded Airmen and their families.
View our Wounded Airman Program in Action
How We Change Lives
Our Airmen have sacrificed so much and we are always looking for ways to expand our support. The Wounded Airman Program is a community of empowerment, support, and strength that not only works to change their lives, but saves them as well. The Wounded Airman Program changes lives by:
- Providing assistance grants to wounded Airmen to help with emergency financial situations
- Sponsoring unfunded veteran wounded Airmen and caregivers to attend Air Force Wounded Warrior CARE events
- Hosting activities to celebrate the hard work of caregivers
- Providing adaptive sports equipment to Airmen in rehabilitation
- Awarding scholarships to dependent children of wounded Airmen
- With the assistance of Delta Dental, offer health and wellness grants to military spouses, transitioning service members and dependents
- Supporting the work of the Air Force at six Wounded Warrior CARE events throughout the year, each of which gathers 125-200 wounded warriors and caregivers for a week of caregiver support, adaptive sports and resiliency training, mentorship, and employment readiness
- Supporting 1,200 wounded warriors and family members at the DoD Warrior Games
How You Can Help
With your help, we have provided more than $625,000 in support of Air Force Wounded Warriors, and we're just getting started!
We would not be able to support our wounded Airmen and their families without dedicated supporters like you. The success of the Wounded Airman Program rests with our network of thousands of donors, supporters, sponsors, and strategic partners who make time to help us support our Airmen.
As the needs of our wounded Airmen continue to grow, so does the need for Wounded Airman Program donations. Please consider donating to the Wounded Airman Program to help us ensure that we can continue to meet the growing needs of our heroes.
Select "Wounded Airman Program" in the "Donate to" field when making a donation.